Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Farewell to Summer

Wow. What a summer it has been. At the beginning of the season, we were still living over at the other house. The dogs were still alive and well. K was working at the new place. All seemed well. And then the bottom fell out. Lost the house. Lost the dogs. Lost the job. We were literally living on the street. Scraping together whatever coin we could beg, steal or borrow. Staying nights at an all night diner. Staying days at the public library. What a fucking summer. Then we got this place. K has a job that though she doesn't like, she at least goes to on a (somewhat) regular basis. Magic Gumbo has the prospects of taking off (finally). Rent is cheap. Bills are low. Money is coming in. I still need to find a "real job" as I don't make enough to really flick a booger at and would like some form of real security. But perhaps it is all coming together.

I am looking to move back home to New Orleans either in January or June of next year. Will just depend on the finances. I think once I am able to do that I will feel much more complete. While I am not complaining about being here - it's a roof over my head - with Roscoe and the Boys gone, I am so lost that I don't really know what to do with myself. Working at home with them around was not unnerving like it is now. They have been gone three and a half months now, and I still catch myself talking to them - or turning around to tell them something - and, of course, they are not here. So I look forward to seeing New Orleans again. Home. More to do. More work to work. More things to keep myself occupied.

For the first time in a long time, with the changing of Seasons, I am actually looking forward to what the future has in store. I think I have paid my dues. Done my penance. Survived my suffering.

It's time to look to the light and embrace it. Grow. Live. Laugh. And who knows, perhaps even love.

Here's to the future. Cheers!